On July 21, 2016, the HRTPO Board approved and adopted the Hampton Roads 2040 Long-Range Transportation Plan (LRTP). The 2040 LRTP will be the official transportation blueprint guiding multimodal transportation investments for the region.
2040 LRTP Summary Brochure
2040 LRTP Amendments
2040 LRTP Compendium of Reports
(click on the cover to open a .pdf of the document)
Vision Statement and Goals (Nov. 2013)
With an engaged public, the 2040 Long-Range Transportation Plan sets forth a vision to develop a well-balanced transportation system that promotes good quality of life while enhancing the unique character of Hampton Roads.
- Support the economic vitality of the metropolitan area, enabling global competitiveness, productivity, and efficiency.
- Increase the safety of the transportation system for all users, including minimizing conflicts between motorized and non‐motorized modes.
- Ensure the security of the region's transportation infrastructure and its users.
- Protect and enhance the environment, promote energy conservation and improve the quality of life.
- Consider the impact of transportation investments on the environment.
- Promote compatibility between transportation improvements and planned land use and economic development patterns.
- Increase accessibility and mobility of people and goods.
- Provide a variety of transportation options that accommodates all users.
- Increase the coordination of the transportation system, across and between modes, for people and goods.
- Promote an efficient and reliable regional transportation system.
- Preserve and maintain the existing transportation system.
- Engage a diverse public in the development of the region’s transportation system.
- Continue to work towards finding dedicated and sustainable revenue sources for transportation to close the funding gap.
- Meetings and Agendas
- + Member Locations
- + Long Range Transportation Planning
- Title VI/Environmental Justice Methodology Tool
- Transportation Improvement Program
- + Transportation
- + Operations & ITS
- + Funding
- SMART SCALE
- + Reports & Data
- Unified Planning Work Program
- Regional Transit Advisory Panel (RTAP)
- Public Notices
- + Public Information
- Commonwealth Transportation Board
- Other Links
- Procurement & DBE Program