At its regular monthly meeting on October 16, 2014, the HRTPO Board approved a Resolution endorsing the HRTPO 2015 Legislative Agenda. The following legislative priorities were developed and recommended by the HRTPO Legislative Ad-Hoc Committee, which is comprised of HRTPO Board members (including representatives from the Virginia General Assembly and elected officials from Hampton Roads localities) and local legislative liaisons, and is responsible for pursuing legislative items that have support from the HRTPO Board:
- Pursue Federal funding for Tier II EIS for higher-speed passenger rail service between Richmond and Hampton Roads
- Reconstitute CTB membership based on congressional districts
- Distribute Highway Maintenance and Operations Funds to reduce reliance upon toll dollars for maintenance of toll facilities
- Identify dedicated source of funds for public transportation
- Make Transit an eligible use of Hampton Roads Transportation Fund
- Pursue options to cover loss of state transit capital funding resulting from expiration of Capital Projects Revenue Bonds
- JLARC review of equity of transportation funding
- Full implementation of recommendations of 2010 Transportation Programs Performance Audit (HB42/SB201)
- Continued funding of Virginia Intercity Passenger Rail Operating and Capital Fund
- Amend HRTAC and HRTF legislation to allow for the use of HRTF moneys to fund HRTAC staff and administration
- Amend HRTAC legislation to allow Chief Elected Officers (CEO) to designate another member of council or board of supervisors to cast votes in place of CEO
The Resolution will be transmitted to HRTPO local governments and the Hampton Roads Delegation of the General Assembly.
To view the Resolution in its entirety, click here.