May is National Bike Month! Hampton Roads will be celebrating National Bike Month with several events and activities throughout the region.
- The Chesapeake Bikes/Trails Advisory Committee and the Tidewater Bicycle Association (TBA) are collaborating to bring BikeFest Chesapeake! Participants of this free event will trek along the Dismal Swamp Canal Trail for approximately 8.5 miles (bring your bikes). Other bike activities include a bike rodeo, bike safety demonstrations, and general bike repair training. Food and beverages will be provided by a local truck vendor.
Location: Dismal Swamp Canal Trail
Date: May 9, 2015;
Time: 10 A.M. – 2 P.M.
- Newport News and the 10 Newport News Public Schools enrolled in the Safe Routes to School Program are gearing up for Bike Safety Week! For most of these schools, Bike Safety Week will occur during the week of May 4 – May 8, 2015. Due to testing schedules, a few schools will participate in Bike Safety Week during the week of April 27 – May 1, 2015.
- Norfolk has a full lineup of events for Bike Month starting off with the Downtown Norfolk Council Employee Appreciation Day on May 1. As part of this event, Downtown Norfolk employees will be treated to coffee and breakfast. There will be a Bike Month vendor tent and a HRT Traffix vendor tent promoting biking, commuting by bike and bike safety. Tutorials will be given for Norfolk’s newest addition, the Bicycle Maintenance FixIt Station. Giveaways will be available for those who bike to work.
Location: MacArthur Square Light Rail Transit Station
Date: May 1, 2015
- Come one come all to the Family Bike Safety Rodeo on May 16! Participants will have the opportunity to work on their bike skills in a fun and non-competitive atmosphere. The Norfolk Police Department will hold a bike safety course and bike permitting for attendees. There will also be an exciting BMX demonstration. The Family Bike Safety Rodeo may also have bike tune-ups provided by local bike retailers and bike-related vendors.
Location: Tarrallton Community Center
Date: May 16, 2015;
Time: 11 A.M.
- Community Bike Rides will be held on May 9 and May 30. These bike rides are open to all ages and include a safety demonstration. On-site registration will begin 30 minutes prior to the rides.
Location: East Beach/Willoughby
Date: May 9, 2015;
Time: 9:30 A.M.; Ride Length: 13.7 mi
Location: The Plot;
Date: May 30, 2015;
Time: 9:30 A.M.; Ride Length: 6.4 mi
- The entire month of May is packed with Bike Month events in and around Williamsburg. One of Williamsburg’s main Bike Month events is the 18th Annual Pedal the Parkway! Participants can bicycle, jog, and walk along the Colonial Parkway in a car free environment. This event is free to the public. Helmets and registration required.
Location: Colonial Parkway (Newport Avenue to Jamestown)
Date: May 2, 2015
Time: 8:00 A.M. – 1:00 P.M.
- Several recurring bike rides are scheduled throughout May, which include the New Kent/Charles City Ride and the Friday Friends Ride. The New Kent/Charles City Ride occurs on Mondays with participants riding 25-40 miles. Friday Friends Ride is held on Fridays where participants meet at the Williamsburg Community Chapel for a 12-25 mile ride along the VA Capital Trail.
Kent/Charles City Ride
Location: Contact Deana Sun at 804-690-6018 for starting location;
Date: Mondays May 4, 2015, May 11, 2015, and May 18, 2015;
Time: 9:00 A.M.
Friday Friends Ride
Location: Williamsburg Community Chapel;
Date: Fridays May 1, 2015, May 8, 2015, May 15, 2015, and May 29, 2015;
Time: 9:30 A.M
May is National Bike Month, which is evident with all the Bike Month events in Hampton Roads. Celebrate it with family and friends. Have fun and ride safely!
For additional Bike Month events in your locality, please check with your city official.