The region’s travel demand forecasting (TDF) model is used to predict how travel patterns will change in the future and what mode (transit or automobile) will be used to complete these trips in Hampton Roads. The TDF model is used in a variety of ways: air quality conformity, project prioritization, analysis of candidates for the Regional Transportation Plan, support for the Congestion Management System, individual project studies, and as-needed data requests.
The Virginia Department of Transportation and their consultants updated the regional TDF in 2009. This updated model has a more robust network, incorporates time-of-day modeling, and can also forecast truck volumes. These improvements can better replicate existing travel conditions and improves the level of detail and accuracy for forecasting.
Reports and information relevant to the Hampton Roads travel demand forecasting model:
- Hampton Roads 2000 Transportation Analysis Zones (TAZ) Maps (T01-07) (zip file)
- Hampton Roads 2000 and 2034 Socioeconomic Data by TAZ (T08-03) (PDF) (Excel)
- Hampton Roads 2009 Socioeconomic Data by TAZ (T10-08) (PDF) (Excel)
- Hampton Roads 2009 and 2040 Socioeconomic Data by TAZ (PDF) (Excel)
2009 Model Validation
- 2009 Hampton Roads Model User’s Guide (PDF)
- 2009 Hampton Roads Model Methodology Report (PDF)
2009 Hampton Roads Model Revision 1.1 Release Notes (PDF)
Software Used-TP+ and Viper
[Software available from Citilabs (www.citilabs.com)]
Basic Model Information
- Most recent model validation year: 2009
- Most recent forecast year: 2034
- Model covers MPO study area boundary:
Chesapeake, Isle of Wight Co., Norfolk, Portsmouth, Suffolk, Virginia Beach, Gloucester, Hampton, James City Co., Newport News, Poquoson, Williamsburg, York Co.
- Land area covered by model: 1,215,693 acres
- Number of zones: 1,093 total (1,063 internal and 30 external)
- Number of links: approximately 39,500
- Coordinate units in Viper: meters
- Zipped file of Roads, Locality Boundaries, and TAZ's (2009 and 2040 socioeconomic data included).
- Zipped file of Roads, Locality Boundaries and TAZ's (2000 and 2034 socioeconomic data included). Files are modified from Census 2000 TIGER files.
- Zipped file of Roads, Locality Boundaries and TAZ's (2009 socioeconomic data included).
Other relevant links
- FHWA Travel Model Improvement Program
- To request a copy of the model, go to the VDOT Transportation Modeling Program, downloads section
- Virginia Travel Demand Modeling Policies and Procedures Manual
- Meetings and Agendas
- + Member Locations
- + Long Range Transportation Planning
- Title VI/Environmental Justice Methodology Tool
- Transportation Improvement Program
- + Transportation
- + Operations & ITS
- + Funding
- SMART SCALE (HB2) Legislation
- + Reports & Data
- Unified Planning Work Program
- Public Notices
- + Public Information
- Commonwealth Transportation Board
- Other Links
- Procurement & DBE Program