About the Six-Year Improvement Program:
Section 33.1-23.2 of the Code of Virginia requires that a public hearing be held prior to the allocation of any transportation funds. The Six-Year Improvement Program (SYIP) is a state document that outlines planned spending for transportation projects proposed for construction development or study for the next six years. The SYIP is updated annually and is the means by which the Commonwealth Transportation Board (CTB) meets its statutory obligation under the Code of Virginia to allocate funds to interstate, primary, secondary, and urban highway systems, public transit, ports, airports, and other programs for the immediate fiscal year. The SYIP also identifies planned program funding for the following five fiscal years.
The CTB allocates funds for the first fiscal year of the SYIP. The funding information for the other five years is estimated future allocations. The state fiscal year starts on July 1 and ends on June 30. The CTB updates the SYIP each year as revenue estimates are updated, priorities are revised, project schedules and costs change, and study results become available.
The CTB allocates project funds using the following priorities as guidance:
- Fund deficits on current project phases
- Maximize use of federal funds to meet federal strategy
- Fund underway project phases, as well as project phases that start in the current federal fiscal year (Federal fiscal year starts on October 1 and ends on September 30)
- Fund deficient bridges and paving projects
- Fund Appalachian Development Highway System planned projects with an average of 4% of total federal maintenance and construction funds over the six years
- Fund deficient bridges with an average of 13% of total federal maintenance and construction funds over the six years
- Increase funding for preliminary engineering
- Support development of public-private partnerships
- Allocate funds consistent with planned obligations and expenditures
- Redirect inactive balances on projects
More information on the Six-Year Improvement Program, including dates and locations of public meetings and hearings, access to the SYIP database, and the SYIP development schedule may be accessed via the VDOT website at http://www.virginiadot.org/projects/syp-default.asp.